- 1990 World Cup semi-final: W. Germany v. England (in Turin). 1-1 after extra time with goals from Brehme (60') and Gary Lineker (80').
- Germany beat England 4-3 on penalties with Stuart Pearce and ultimately Chris Waddle both failing to score.
- The match is famous for scenes of Paul Gascoigne (and others) bursting into tears at the end of the game and Gary Lineker's quote, "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win".
- see also "England v West Germany at Italia '90 – as it happened", theguardian.com, 2020-04-12
- Match repeated on BBC online 12 April 2020.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.