ABBA are a Swedish pop group formed in 1972 in Stockholm and active as recording and performance artists until 1982. The group's name is an acronym of the four members' first names: Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.
The group first became famous outside their native Sweden after winning the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974 with the song Waterloo. Although success did not come immediately after their first Europe-wide hit, ABBA went on to become one of the most successful pop groups of the 1970s and of all time, achieving success on a global scale which had not been seen since The Beatles.
- 06 April 1974: ABBA win the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton with Waterloo.
- 11 April 1974: TOTP debut.
- 16 April 1974: Waterloo is the highest new entry at no. 17.
- 30 April 1974: Waterloo announced as the UK's new no.1, replacing Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun.
UK albums & singles only
|Ring Ring||32||Ring Ring (1973) |
|1975||I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do||38||ABBA (1975)|
|1976||Fernando||01||Greatest Hits (1975) |
|Dancing Queen||01||Arrival (1976)|
|Money Money Money||03|
|1977||Knowing Me Knowing You||01|
|The Name of the Game||01||The Album (1977)|
|1978||Take A Chance On Me||01|
|Summer Night City||05||Greatest Hits Vol.2 (1979) |
|Does Your Mother Know||04|
|Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!..||03|
|I Have A Dream||02|
|1980||The Winner Takes It All||01||Super Trouper (1980)|
|1981||Lay All Your Love On Me||07|
|One of Us||03||The Visitors (1982)|
|1982||Head Over Heels||25|
|The Day Before You Came||32|
|1983||Thank You For the Music||33||The Album (1977)|
|1992||Dancing Queen (1992 re-issue)||16||Arrival (1976)|
Selected compilation albums (UK):
- The Singles - The First Ten Years (1982)
- Thank You For The Music - A Collection of Love Songs (1983)
- Gold: Greatest Hits (1992)
- More ABBA Gold (1993)
- The Definitive Collection (2001)
- ↑ released in the UK in 1992
- ↑ also includes all the above
- ↑ includes hits from Dancing Queen to Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (except Voulez Vous).