John Foxx (b. Dennis Leigh, 1948) is a British songwriter, musician, vocalist, graphic artist, photographer and teacher from Chorley, UK. he is best known as the former leader and founder of post-punk group Ultravox! and for his pioneering work in electronic music as a solo artist beginning in 1980 with the album Metamatic.
- see Ultravox
- 1979-03: John Foxx leaves Ultravox after group-financed US tour.
- 1980-01: Debut solo single Underpass and debut solo album Metamatic released.
- 31 January 1980: Foxx performs Underpass on Top of the Pops. The single is at no. 47 in the UK charts
- 20 March 1980: 'Twentieth Century Foxx' feature by Steve Taylor in Smash Hits
- 27 March 1980: Foxx performs new single No-One Driving on Top of the Pops, at no. 32 in the charts that week. The song is a slightly different version to the Metamatic album track.
- 1980-07: Foxx releases third solo single, Burning Car, b/w Twentieth Century, the complete version of the TV magazine programme 20th Century Box. The single fails to chart.
- 02 October 1980: Free yellow flexi-disc featuring brand new Foxx track My Face given with Smash Hits magazine.
- 31 October 1980: new singles Miles Away released. The song indicates a new direction both sonically and lyrically.
- 03 September 1981: Foxx appears on Top of the Pops to perform new single Europe After the Rain, number 40 in the UK charts.
- 25 September 1981: New album The Garden released. It will reach a peak of no. 24 in its second week on the Top 40.